, , , ,

I take on much of my tax work using “Licensed Access”.

In plain English this means that professionals, such as Accountants and Tax Advisers, can approach me for advice and representation either for themselves or their clients directly with going to or using a Solicitor. This saves money and, as importantly, time.

The rules on Licensed Access (there’s a link at the foot of this page) list the professional bodies who have a general license to instruct a Barrister direct – if you’re a member of a professional body on the list you can instruct me direct. Those relating to tax work are:

1. The Association of Authorised Public Accountants
2. Association of Taxation Technicians
3. The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
4. The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
5. Institute of Chartered Accountants
6. The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland
7. Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland
8. The Chartered Institute of Taxation
9. The Institute of Financial Accountants
10. The Institute of Indirect Taxation

If you’re not a member of one of these, don’t worry – you can apply for a license or use Public Access. Tax representatives who are not members of the above bodies can instruct me using Public Access as an “intermediary”.

There are other professional bodies listed in the Rules – so take a look.

You can access the Bar Council’s guidance on Licensed Access, including the T&Cs, here: Licensed Access.

For the Rules click here – it will take you directly to the Bar Standards Board website and the relevant part of the Bar Code of Conduct.

For information on Public Access (also known as Direct Access by those of us old enough to know better) click here, and here and you’ll be taken to the Bar Code of Conduct rules on Public Access and the BSB’s Guidance to Lay Clients respectively.